Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Orientamento

Sunday was my first pre-departure orientation meeting.  Oh. My. Gosh.  This makes it oh so real and oh so close!  Not only did I meet a few people who will be in Italy with me (is this real life?), but I also got to see everyone who will be studying abroad around the world for the spring semester.  JMU has study abroad locations in Florence, London, Salamanca, and Antwerp.

At this meeting we discussed everything from culture shock to cell phones to alcohol to heath insurance.  Obviously, it was quite a bit in a short amount of time.  Since then I have been reading over my packet and have found some interesting tidbits of information:
  • If I lose a thumb and an index finger on the same hand, it is covered up to 25%.
  • Never appear drunk in public. (Not that I really anticipate that being a problem.)
  • Avoid volatile situations, such as political unrest and riots.
Obviously, super helpful information...

I am so excited to get to researching Italy and learning some important Italian words.

Has anyone been to Italy before?  What do I need to check out?  What do I need to avoid?  Any helpful words you can teach me?

2 comments:

  1. Agua no gas-when in rome, I learned it was pretty usual to be served seltzer water which I'm not a fan of. So agua no gas eliminates the bubbles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good to know! I can't stand seltzer water. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete